Press Release: 2014Press Release
25 April 2014
Japan Registry Services Co., Ltd. (JPRS)
JPRS to provide Japan's first operational scheme to support new gTLD registrations
- Forming Domestic Business Alliance: Joint Effort with MIS -
Japan Registry Services Co., Ltd. (JPRS: Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo; President: Koki Higashida) today announced that it has established a Japan's first operational scheme to support new gTLD, ICANN's[*1] New gTLD Program[*2], for prospective applicants and registries. This effort has been achieved in partnership with MIRAIT Information Systems Co., Ltd. (MIS: Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo; President, CEO: Hiroshi Iwasa). Under the operational scheme, JPRS offers services as the registry service provider[*3] and MIS offers services as the data escrow agent[*4], thus forming a domestic business alliance.
One critical requirement of ICANN's New gTLD Program is to establish daily transfers of registration data of domain names to an ICANN-approved data escrow agent. There were ICANN-approved data escrow agents for new gTLDs, none of which are based in Japan. As a result, new gTLD registries in Japan had to engage with one of these agents, all of which are not based in Japan.
JPRS had been assisting MIS in answering application questions to obtain approval to become a new gTLD data escrow agent, and as a result MIS has recently become the first ICANN-approved new gTLD data escrow agent based in Japan.
Taking advantage of this approval, JPRS and MIS have jointly launched a Japan's first operational scheme to support the new gTLD operations for prospective new gTLD applicants and registries. Under the operational scheme, JPRS offers services as the registry service provider and MIS offers services as the data escrow agent, thus forming a domestic business alliance.
JPRS and MIS will make full use of this scheme to provide consulting and support services that better meet the need of prospective new gTLD applicants and registries for the new gTLD applications and operations.
As an enterprise that supports the foundation of the network infrastructure, JPRS will continue to make further efforts to improve the quality of its services, and thereby contributing to the development of the Internet and the building of a better future for everyone.
JPRS is a leading service provider for management and registration of domain names and for the domain name system (DNS) operations. The company was established on December 26, 2000. As a company dedicated to maintaining the Internet infrastructure of Japan, JPRS operates under a corporate philosophy which aims to contribute to the expansion of the Internet and to building a better future for people and society.
- *1.ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers)
It is the private sector, non-profit corporation created in 1998 in the US to coordinate Internet infrastructure resources including domain names, IP addresses, protocols and root servers.
- *2.New gTLD Program
- ICANN introduced the new gTLDs (generic top-level domains such as ".com" and ".net") by holding two rounds for applications, one in 2000 and another in 2003. In those rounds, ICANN set the maximum number of gTLDs to be created. In the current third round that started in 2012, the number of new gTLDs is not limited; in principle, new gTLD applications that meet the criteria specified by ICANN will be approved.
- *3.Registry service provider
- A registry service provider offers all or part of the functions necessary to manage TLDs. New gTLD applicants do not necessarily require past experience in the registry business and may enlist the services of the registry service provider that has relevant expertise, thus reducing the management and operations load on new gTLD applicants and registries.
- *4.Data escrow agent
- A data escrow agent is a third-party organization that receives registration data of domain names from the manager and stores the data. The data escrow scheme ensures continuity of domain name management and administration should the authority for management be transferred from the manager to a successor.
- Consultation and support for new gTLD applications to ICANN
(Published on 14 October 2011, Japanese only)
- MIRAIT Information Systems Co., Ltd.
- ICANN Appoints Sixth New gTLD Data Escrow Agent
Press ContactsJapan Registry Services Co., Ltd. (JPRS)
TEL: +81-3-5215-8451 FAX: +81-3-5215-8452
Chiyoda First Bldg. East 13F, 3-8-1 Nishi-Kanda
Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0065, Japan