Press Release: 2013Press Release
26 February 2013
Japan Registry Services Co., Ltd. (JPRS)
Hirofumi Hotta of JPRS appointed to APTLD board of directors
Japan Registry Services Co., Ltd. (JPRS: Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo; President Koki Higashida) today announced that Hirofumi Hotta, director of JPRS, has been selected for appointment to the board of directors of the Asia Pacific Top Level Domain Association (APTLD), the organization for country-code Top Level Domain (ccTLD) registries in the Asia Pacific region. Hotta will serve as a director on the board for two years until March 2015.
Since its establishment in 1998, APTLD has had an important role in the development of ccTLDs in the Asia Pacific region by working as a forum for information exchange regarding domain names and registry operations and by making proposals to Internet governance organizations including the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
With regard in particular to the process for implementing internationalized country code top-level domains (IDN ccTLDs) for which ICANN started accepting applications in November 2009, Hotta and other members took a lead role in aggregating the discussion at APTLD and forming this into a proposal for presentation to ICANN with the support of the relevant organizations. This proposal became the trigger for the movement toward the worldwide distribution of internationalized domain names (IDN), which is one of the major achievements of APTLD.
Since June 2004 Hotta has been a council member of ICANN's Country Code Names Supporting Organisation (ccNSO). As a ccNSO councilor representing the Asia Pacific region, Hotta has made proactive contributions in the activities of ICANN such as in the development of an accountability framework for forming a formal relationship between ICANN and ccTLD, investigation into global policies regarding IDN, and investigation into a revision of the constitutional document of ICANN along with the establishment of IDN ccTLD. Moreover, as a member of APTLD, since 2002 he has contributed to the association's activities through his presentations at meetings and participation in discussions.
Hotta'a selection as a director of the board of APTLD at this time is seen as an affirmation of the approval he had received for his contributions to APTLD in the past and for his activities and achievements as a councilor of ccNSO.
APTLD plans to investigate the future path the organization should take and intends to make every effort to realize its objectives over the next two years. At the beginning of this new era in which the numbers of registries including IDN ccTLDs and new generic top-level domains (gTLDs) are increasing. Hotta will chair the Mission & Objectives working group that will investigate the mission and purpose of APTLD in the new age.
As an enterprise that supports the foundations of the network infrastructure, JPRS will continue to make further efforts to contribute to the Internet community not only in Japan and the Asia Pacific region but throughout the rest of the world.
JPRS is a leading service provider for management and registration of domain names and for the domain name system (DNS) operations. The company was established on December 26, 2000. As a company dedicated to maintaining the Internet infrastructure of Japan, JPRS operates under a corporate philosophy which aims to contribute to the expansion of the Internet and to building a better future for people and society.
Acronym for country code Top Level Domain.
Top level domain allocated to each country or region. The .jp domain that represents Japan is one such ccTLD.
- *2.ICANN(Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers)
- It is the private sector, non-profit corporation created in 1998 in the US to coordinate Internet infrastructure resources including domain names, IP addresses, protocols and root servers.
- *3.Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)
- Domain names that include non-alphanumeric characters, are called "Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)". IDNs can contain various scripts in the world, such as Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana, Hangul, Cyrillic, Arabic.
- *4.ccNSO(Country Code Names Supporting Organisation)
- It is one of the organizations supporting the activities of ICANN. As an organization supporting the entire ccTLD structure, ccNSO has the role of developing policy plans related to global issues across all ccTLDs in cooperation with other supporting organizations and committees of ICANN and acting as an advisory to the board of ICANN. JPRS participates in ccNSO as the .jp registry administrator.
- APTLD Board
- APTLD(Asia Pacific Top Level Domain Association)
- ICANN(Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers)
- ccNSO(Country Code Names Supporting Organisation)
Press ContactsJapan Registry Services Co., Ltd. (JPRS)
Chiyoda First Bldg. East 13F, 3-8-1 Nishi-Kanda
Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0065, Japan