Press Release: 2022
14 March 2022
Japan Registry Services Co., Ltd. (JPRS)
Yuri Takamatsu of JPRS appointed to APTLD board of directors
Japan Registry Services Co., Ltd. (JPRS: Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo; President Koki Higashida) today announced that Yuri Takamatsu, International Affairs Leader of JPRS, has been selected for appointment to the board of directors of the Asia Pacific Top Level Domain Association (APTLD), the organization for country-code Top Level Domain (ccTLD[*1]) registries in the Asia Pacific region. Takamatsu will serve as a director on the board for two years until the Annual General Meeting in 2024.
Since its establishment in 1998, APTLD has played an important role in the development of ccTLDs in the Asia Pacific region by working as a forum for information exchange regarding domain names and registry operations and by making contributions to Internet-related organizations including the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN[*2]).
With regard in particular to the fast-track process for implementing internationalized country code top-level domains (IDN ccTLDs) for which ICANN started accepting applications in November 2009, JPRS took a leading role in the discussion at APTLD and forming this into a proposal for presentation to ICANN with the support of the relevant organizations. This proposal became one of the triggers for the movement toward the worldwide deployment of internationalized domain names (IDNs)[*3], which is one of the major achievements of APTLD.
Since 2015, Takamatsu joined the panel to establish Japanese Label Generation rules for root zone (RZ-LGR) as one of its active members. She is also a member of ccPDP4 Working Group, which is chartered by ICANN ccNSO (Country Code Supporting Organisation)[*4] to propose policies for the selection of IDN ccTLD strings and their variant management. Making use of her experience of creating Japanese RZ-LGR, she contributes to the working group. Moreover, since 2012 she has contributed to the association's activities through her presentations at meetings and participation in Secretariat Performance Review Working Group.
Selecting Takamatsu as a director of the board of APTLD is regarded as an affirmation for her contributions to ccNSO and APTLD in the past.
As a company that supports the network infrastructure, JPRS will continue to make further efforts to improve the quality of its and fellow-ccTLD's services, and thereby contributing to the development of the Internet and the building of a better future for everyone, not only in Japan and the Asia Pacific region but throughout the rest of the world.
JPRS is a leading service provider for management and registration of domain names and for the domain name system (DNS) operations. The company was established on December 26, 2000. As a company dedicated to maintaining the Internet infrastructure of Japan, JPRS operates under a corporate philosophy which aims to contribute to the expansion of the Internet and to building a better future for people and society.
Acronym for country code Top Level Domain.
Top level domain allocated to each country or region. The .jp domain that represents Japan is one such ccTLD.
- *2.ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers)
- It is the private sector, non-profit corporation created in 1998 in the US to coordinate Internet infrastructure resources including domain names, IP addresses, protocols and root servers.
- *3.Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)
- Domain names that include non-alphanumeric characters, are called "Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)". IDNs can contain various scripts in the world, such as Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana, Hangul, Cyrillic, Arabic.
- *4.ccNSO (Country Code Names Supporting Organisation)
- It is one of the organizations supporting the activities of ICANN. As an organization supporting the entire ccTLD structure, ccNSO has the role of developing policy plans related to global issues across all ccTLDs in cooperation with other supporting organizations and committees of ICANN and acting as an advisory to the board of ICANN. JPRS participates in ccNSO as the .jp registry administrator.
- APTLD Board
- APTLD (Asia Pacific Top Level Domain Association)
- ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers)
- ccNSO (Country Code Names Supporting Organisation)
- Japanese Generation Panel (JGP)
- Policy Development Process (ccPDP4) - (de-)selection of IDN ccTLD Strings
Press ContactsJapan Registry Services Co., Ltd. (JPRS)
TEL: +81-3-5215-8451 FAX: +81-3-5215-8452
Chiyoda First Bldg. East 13F, 3-8-1 Nishi-Kanda
Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0065, Japan